Since 1903, the Commonwealth Law Reports have been the only source of authorised High Court of Australia judgments. Being the authorised reports, every judgment and headnote is checked by the judges of the High Court before inclusion in the Commonwealth Law Reports.
Each reported judgment includes a comprehensive headnote, written by an expert reporter, and approved by the High Court. Headnotes highlight the key issues of each case and include summaries of submissions to the Court, which provide an instructive overview of the lines of argument run during a case.
- As the authorised reports of the High Court, the Commonwealth Law Reports provide the definitive record of the most important decisions in Australian law.
- All online subscriptions include the ability to view an on-screen html version or download a PDF facsimile of the hard copy version.
- The online service provides users with the ability to link to other CLR citations referenced in the judgment as well as to other Thomson Reuters law report series cited within a judgment.
- Online subscribers who also subscribe to FirstPoint can link through to FirstPoint case summaries, and records of subsequent judicial consideration of cited decisions.
- The Editor of the Commonwealth Law Reports, JD Merralls QC AM, recently commemorated his 40th year as Editor and has been associated with the Reports since 1960.