Peter Mann, author of one of our prestigious products (Mann’s Annotated Insurance Law Online) has comprehensively updated his annotations to the Insurance Contracts Act.
Peter has done so, in light of recent cases and extensive amendments made by the Insurance Contracts Amendment Act 2013, some of which have commenced and some of which will commence by 28 December 2015.
Highlights of this major update include:
- New section added: Restrictions or limitations – inherent and acknowledged – not s 54 (at [54.10.2]) ,which provides commentary on whether an insurance claim which is not payable because it falls outside the scope of cover of a policy of insurance, is or is not subject to s 54 of the Act.
- Various utmost good faith sections updated in light of several recent decisions including Camellia Properties Pty Ltd v Wesfarmers General Insurance Ltd and Allianz Australia Insurance Ltd v Vitale.
- Numerous Part IV sections revised and in particular s 21 in light of recent decisions including ABN AMRO Bank NV v Bathurst Regional Council and Poole v Chubb Insurance Company of Australia Ltd.
- Section 54 commentary updated in light of recent decisions and in particular the important decision of the High Court in Maxwell v Highway Hauliers Pty Ltd.
- Commentary on sections 20, 59 and 67 expanded in light of recent cases, and Subheadings inserted to make various sections even easier to read.
Well done Peter on this invaluable update to the service.