Where do I find the new Code?
Sibraa’s Food Legislation NSW service has been updated with the revised Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. The revised Code was gazetted on 10 April 2015 and came into effect on 1 March 2016.
What has changed?
Changes have been made to Chapter 1 (Introduction and standards that apply to all foods) and Chapter 2 (Food standards), such as:
- the Code’s requirements; to make it clearer who has to comply;
- provisions relating to food additives, processing aids and nutritive substances; and
- food composition requirements; to clarify when a requirement is:
- legally required for the sale of a product; or
- a prerequisite to a permission, for example to add a food additive.
Standard 5.1.1 – Revocation and transitional provisions – 2014 Revision and the 29 Schedules have also been included.
Why the revision?
In 2009 the New South Wales Supreme Court decided to audit the effectiveness of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code and the FSANZ prepared Proposal P1025 in consultation with regulators.
FSANZ reviewed the Food Standards Code to make the requirements clearer and to ensure it better meets the needs of stakeholders. The changes will reduce uncertainty when it comes to code enforcement issues.