Wickens – Law of Life Insurance updated
As part of our Insurance suite of products we have recently completely restructured and revised Wickens, Law of Life Insurance. We believe we have created a modern, sleek and easy to navigate publication. Material of peripheral interest to the reader, along with material that can be freely found elsewhere on the Internet, has been removed. We have focused on value added material: relevant legislation, cross referenced where possible, and pertinent, updated commentary. Our commentary aims to cover changes in life insurance law: updates this year included discussion of the Stronger Super reforms and the Australian Privacy Principles Guidelines.
We have a stable of talented authors:
- Lisa Norris – Partner at TurksLegal. Lisa’s broad experience across life insurance matters includes representing insurers and superannuation funds in litigated disability and income protection claims, compliance and prudential regulation advice and managing large and complex claims. She also advises on and negotiates the terms of contracts between insurers and third parties.
- Stanley Drummond – Adjunct Head of Superannuation and Wealth Management at Thomson Geer, where his practice spans life insurance, general insurance, superannuation and managed funds. Stanley is well known as an author and speaker on insurance and superannuation topics. He brings a strong appreciation of the long tradition of life insurance, familiarity with underwriting and claims processes, and detailed knowledge of current relevant law.
- Rehana Box – Partner with Ashurst. Rehana specialises in insurance law and advisory and retail financial services. She is a leading insurance law advisor on the use of insurance in government and private contracts including PPPs, major government service and procurement contracts and infrastructure projects. She is also a recognised specialist on directors and officers liability insurances and indemnities.
- Philip Hopley – Senior associate at Ashurst who specialises in life and general insurance and reinsurance, and financial services legislation. He is also the co-author of publications on directors’ and officers’ liability insurance and directors’ duties in insolvency.
- Anthony Asher – Associate Professor with the Australian School of Business, University of New South Wales. His particular skills are in life insurance capital issues, and in the development of appropriate products for life insurers and superannuation funds, particularly where investment issues are involved.
- Peter Hanley – taxation and property consultant and general counsel, John Harris Property Group, Brisbane. Peter writes the material on taxation treatment of life insurance companies for this publication.